Sunday, July 11, 2010

Camping

We went camping on Friday. With little helpers and distractions, it took me most of the day to pack. We also had to run to the store for a few items that would make camping a bit easier.
David and the boys setting up camp. Ben helped to put the stakes in the ground. Gavin ran across the tent.
Deziree was excited to have her own chair. She doesn't have to share with the boys anymore. They just kick her out of the chair.

David had to have his Man vs Wild moment. He wanted to start the fire with flint and steel. The boys waited, and waited, and waited. They started to tell him to use a match. David was determined...

... and finally succeeded.

Ben roasted marshmallows


And Gavin too. But neither boy likes roasted marshmallows, so I ended up eating all they roasted. After a while I had to tell them that my belly hurt and I couldn't eat anymore.


Dez just ate hers, and got it all over her face.


There was a water pump. Primitive, I know.


Of course I needed a picture of Gavin pumping too.


And don't forget about Deziree.


We packed up camp and ended up going on a hike. This is a beautiful spot to cross the river. Gavin was afraid that there were sharks in the water. We had to reassure him that no sharks lived in this water.

 
Of course I have to make sure others knew I spent time with my family. I am usually the one taking the pictures and not in them. This time I demanded asked nicely to have my picture taken.


We came across this on our hike. It didn't look like a natural thing. I joked about it being a Bear Gryills shelter. David sure likes to watch his Man vs Wild show. If camping wasn't enough for him, he came home and put an episode of Man vs Wild on.

All in all we had a good time. The boys were begging to go to sleep. We thought we would keep them up to see the stars. Ben liked that for maybe five minutes. I think the boys were tired, but also excited to be going camping. 

Dez had a hard time going to sleep. She is teething and I forgot the Tylenol. She slept the first 5ish hours well, and then refused to go back in the pack n'play. From about 2:30am and on I tried keeping her quiet and asleep with me. Every time I bring a kid into my bed I remember why I don't usually do that. 

We were all up before 6 o'clock. I think that is why the kids were falling asleep at 6 that night. 

The boys favorite part was probably when we told them they could pee on a certain piece of wood. I think Gavin went times before bed. David also had to take him out in the middle of the night twice. 

My favorite part was just spending time with my family away from it all. Just having a laid back night. I enjoy the anticipation they had of sleeping in the tent. Enjoying looking at the stars and seeing the fireflies come out. The boys wanting to help because they didn't have much else to do. The laughter of  Deziree is infectious and we enjoyed trying to make her laugh. I absolutely love my family and want to be with them forever. It is not always easy, but these children sure make it worth it.

1 comment:

Amy said...

Looks like so much fun!!! I am jealous! And so glad you went. Your picture with the kids is great, and yes, you have to make those happen for you sometimes! They have grown since we saw you last.....how does that happen?