Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Nauvoo and Carthage

This last weekend we went to Nauvoo and Carthage with some friends. It was fun to go with a group. As a group we ended up pushing some handcarts. Right before we got there it was raining. We put the little kids in the carts to keep them from getting too wet. We didn't get very far before we got to a muddy hill. I wish I got a picture of the handcart go up the hill in the mud. The kids in that cart were scared and ready to get out. The adults (David, Randy, Brad, Liesl, and Malynda) had a hard pushing, they kept on slipping in the mud. Think of Legacy, that was what it was like for them. There was no way we were going to take the second one up that way. So Mark, and Sarah with her baby in a sling, and me with my baby in a carrier pushed our up a different way. Needless to say we wimped out and took the carts back. I don't think we even made it a mile with the carts.

I really wanted to go down the Trail of Hope. That was one thing I didn't do the last time we were in Nauvoo. It was interesting to read the excerpts from the journals and to ponder on how they felt and what it was like for them to leave that city and venture to the unknown in the middle of winter. At the end we let the kids throw rocks into the Mississppi River.




Here is Ben pretending to be a horse pulling Gavin. We were able to go to the pioneer games. They had plenty for the kids to do. There are little log cabins they can pretend to live in. They can dress up in time period clothes. Adults can get into the action too with stilt walking.


The best part of the trip was being able to go to the temple. One couple stayed at the hotel and watched all the kids (11 total) all in the same room. I'm sure it was crazy for a while. It was nice to sit in the quietness of the temple. That temple is a beautiful temple.


We also went to Carthage Jail. I feel bad for the people that were in our group. Deziree would not stop crying. Anything I tried didn't work. We were able to hear a recount of the martyrdom of the prophet and his brother. I know the boys won't remember what the saw and heard, but I hope I will remember that experience.

No comments: