David and I have decided to garden. When we moved here last year and were very disappointed in the tomatoes, we decided to at least plant tomatoes. I love them in season, but they don't have much flavor the rest of the year. We have also expanded it to cucumbers, zucchini, yellow crookneck squash, and some herbs. I hope we will be able to manage what we have planted, but most of all I hope we will succeed in reaping from what we have planted. After checking on our plants Monday for FHE, we talked about seeds and faith. I have planted some herbs in our window hoping that they will grow. We looked at how far they have come since planting them in there. There are a lot that have sprouted.
I remember my dad always having a garden. When I was younger his garden was large. I think he used all of his grow boxes. Now that most of us are moved out, he has scaled back. I don't think there was hardly a year that went by that he didn't plant at least tomatoes. Zucchini and crookneck squash were also a favorite of his. He also had lots of fruit trees on the property including peach (all have now died), apricot, red and yellow apple trees, and a cherry tree. I have learned form his example and hope that my children will learn from ours. When we decide to buy a house, I hope we will be able to plant fruit trees and have a decent garden. I think one part of being self reliant is being able to provide food for your family through gardening.
processing
10 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment