Friday, October 29, 2010

Table

When we first decided to move we knew that we would have space for a bigger table. Can you imagine cramming 5 bodies around this table for several months? Not all our food for dinner could fit on here. Basically anything that the kids could reach out and touch and get burned on was put on the counter. There was just enough room for our plates and cups.
Well about a month before we move we bought this table. It smelled horrible. The house it came from smelled worse. That should have been a red flag going up. We brought it home and it stunk up our whole apartment. We sprayed it with vinegar. I wiped it down with a Borax solution. I even put baking soda on it for a night to see if that would take out the smell. I even used Murphy's Oil Soap on it too (which the soap smelled more than the table, but at least it wasn't the cigarette smell.

David said that he was making the table go through the 12 step program to quit.
He sanded it all down. Every nook and cranny he could get either by an orbital sander or by hand he did. He wanted to make sure what ever was on the surface absorbing the cigarette smell would be gone.

He then stained it and put many coats of polyurethane on it. We waited several weeks for it to dry and set up.

Finally he sanded and buffed the top. He finished the table the same day we decided to have Gavin's birthday party!

I am loving having a lot more elbow room when I eat. We can actually put our dinner on the table. I can also separate Ben and Gavin. I am glad that David spent the time to take the stink out of the table.

No comments: